Going off to college and living in a dorm will perhaps be one of the most memorable experiences of your life, but unfortunately, it’s not always the most sanitary of conditions. How can you stay healthy?
To help make it both a fun and healthy experience, Robin Wilson, an interior designer focused on creating healthy spaces, who is an ambassador for the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and author of Clean Design: Wellness for Your Lifestyle, says these seven healthy must-haves will help you from getting sick.
- Toothbrush and Razor protector – It’s one thing to leave your toothbrush on the counter or your razor in the shower in your own home, but doing that in a dorm where multiple people use the bathroom is a bad idea. If you must though, definitely get a clip-on toothbrush cover or razor protector. Most fit any standard or electric toothbrush and razor, and kill germs for up to three months. No cords or batteries required. I recommend: Steripod Toothbrush Sanitizer
- Air Purifier with HEPA Filter – Make sure the air in your dorm that you’re breathing in is good for you. An air purifier with a HEPA filter is a must for dorm room living. These are available at most major retailers, and a good model will deliver 99.97% efficient air cleaning and filtration, eliminate odors, pollutants and allergens. I recommend: Rowenta Air Purifiers
- Disinfecting Wipes – Every college student should have disinfecting wipes in his dorm. A large pack is inexpensive and can last the entire school year, and can be your best line of defense for staying healthy. A good disinfecting wipe kills 99.9% of germs, viruses and bacteria, including Staph, E. Coli and Strep. I recommend: Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
- Hypoallergenic Bedding – This is a no-brainer if you suffer from allergies or asthma, but even if you don’t, hypoallergenic bedding products are a must for living in a college dorm. Hypoallergenic bedding products are available in pillows, comforters, mattress pads, fiber beds and sheets. I recommend: Robin Wilson Home Hypoallergenic Bedding
- Hand Sanitizer – An inexpensive and great on-the-go product for students to eliminate bacteria in public places, from the dorm room to the classroom and public restrooms, one small squirt will fight germs and keep you healthy. I recommend: Purell Hand Sanitizer
- Non-Toxic All-Purpose Cleaners– Many cleaning products are full of dangerous chemicals. Make sure and choose all-purpose green cleaners which are inexpensive and good for disinfecting baths, showers, toilets, sinks, windows, desks, countertops and more. I recommend: Method All-Purpose Cleaner with Powergreen Technology.
- A healthier water bottle – College students are always on the go, and staying hydrated is important to good health and increased energy. Make sure your water bottle is BPA-free and won’t leach toxins or funky flavors into your water, juice, smoothie or drink of choice. I recommend: 27oz Klean Kanteen Water Bottle
“A College dorm is the perfect breeding ground for dirt, dust, bacteria, germs and other nasties that can make you sick,” Wilson says. “While you can’t always pick the perfect roommate who cleans up after himself, or trade in the 20-year-old mattress that it’s anybody’s guess what’s lurking inside, you can take some steps to protect yourself and your health.”