The ING New York City Marathon is scheduled is for Sunday, Nov6th. When it comes to City Revenue – Sporting Events – not much comes close to the NYC marathon. (it’s been mentioned that its equivalent to the revenue generated by a Superbowl). 26.2 to millions.
CRAINS NYC magazine was queried – which sporting event has the biggest impact in NYC?
- Yankees in the playoffs $90M
- Jets / Giants season $160M
- The New York City Marathon $340M
The NYC Road Runners – which is led by CEO / Pres Mary Wittenberg – oversee funding for the event. One would question if the marathon is for pure profit. (NOT at all) As much as $30.8M is provided to charities. Profits generated subsidize various programs throughout the year for various age ranges. To explain it’s popularity – The NYC Marathon is more than just a foot race – the essence of it – is primarily about the triumph of the human spirit. Everyday athletes are challenged to finish a life long dream.
Historically, the Marathon is usually broadcast with a 2HR tape delay locally on NBC. Finally, there is a global approach to this race with the technology that backs it up too. The Official ING New York City Marathon Mobile Spectator App Presented by Subway puts 47,000 runners and 26.2 miles in your pocket! (available for $2.99 through iTunes & Android Market)
- Track up to 10 runners simultaneously
- Watch live streaming of the men’s and women’s pro races, as well as NBC4 New York’s live coverage
- Extensive NYC listing guide from MyCityWay featuring popular restaurant, attraction and retail listings
- Get tourist information, special offers from our partners, and more with the interactive course map
- Let everyone know you’re a fan—the Official ING New York City Marathon Mobile Spectator App Presented by Subway is fully integrated with social media
We wish all the participants the VERY BEST as they tour the five boroughs and safely finish the race! Our spectators will be in for a treat.