New national survey shows families embracing second hand shopping during the holidays
More families shopping consignment events and thrift stores to save and earn cash
North America’s leading consignment event offers tips on finding the best deals
Tulsa, Okla. – As holiday shoppers head to the stores for Black Friday, Cyber Monday and more, about 60 percent of shoppers will also be shopping second hand to find deals for holidays. Consignment events, thrift stores and online groups have made it easier for families to find nice gifts at bargain prices. At the same time, families can take their clutter from the holiday season and turn it into cash.
According to a survey from Just Between Friends, North America’s leading children’s and maternity consignment event, nearly 60 percent of respondents say they have purchased holiday gifts at second hand stores or consignment events and plan to do so again this year.
Just Between Friends has 138 franchises in 28 states and Canada. Each one hosts a big community consignment event twice annually. Just Between Friends reaches more than 500,000 families through its seasonal events helping them save & earn millions of dollars each year by both consigning and shopping at their events
“Just Between Friends is honored to help so many families stretch their dollar during these uncertain economic times. Being frugal is a trend now that we don’t believe is going to end even if the economy improves. Shopping at consignment stores & events as well as thrift shops is a great way to save money when holiday shopping. If you set up a good system, you can really find some great deals,” explained Shannon Wilburn, Co-Founder and CEO of Just Between Friends Franchise Systems, Inc. Shannon offers seven top tips for finding the best deals shopping consignment:
1. Buy holiday clothing and save a bundle – Because holiday outfits are something kids typically wear once or twice you can find ‘like new’ outfits for 50 to 90 percent off retail and often you can find them new with tags.
2. Always check for quality – When shopping consignment spend a few extra minutes checking the hem lines, buttons, seams, and looking closely at the wear and tear. Most items sold on consignment go through an inspection process…but it’s always a good idea to give them a second look.
3 Expensive winter wear doesn’t have to be expensive – These are great items to buy at second hand stores since children grow out of their clothing and shoes so quickly. Snow clothes are generally only used for special events or days with extreme weather. You can find deep discounts.
4. Find a consignment store/event that sets guidelines and standards – The key to finding a quality store or event is finding one that inspects items and sets guidelines and standards and is strict about keeping recalled items out of their store or event. At JBF, we inspect all items for quality and safety and remove any recalled items. We also have a recall specialist on staff who educates all shoppers and consignors on recalls. You can find more at www.cpsc.gov.
5. Toys are a steal – Toy shopping at consignment stores and events can save you a bundle, especially on items for toddlers and little ones. Often, moms will consign toys their children received as gifts but never used. It is also a great way to find discounted electronics such as Wii, Xbox, PlayStation and DVDs.
6. Shop midmornings or early afternoons – Mondays are prime shopping days, since many consigners bring items in over the weekend. The best times are midmorning or early afternoon and avoid the lunch rush and the after school rush.
7. Check for added discounts – Most thrift stores and consignment events offer “discount days”. Paying attention to added promotions can help shoppers save even more.
About Just Between Friends
In 1997, Just Between Friends was created in a living room in Tulsa, Oklahoma when Shannon Wilburn, a mother of two young children, and her friend Daven Tackett hosted a sale with 17 friends as consignors and had gross sales of $2000. The sales caught on with families and grew so in 2003, they formed Just Between Friends Franchise Systems, Inc. Wilburn is now sole owner of Just Between Friends Franchise Systems, Inc., which has 138 franchises in 28 states and Canada. Just Between Friends was named one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top 500 Franchises. In 2012, Just Between Friends was one of only 75 companies to receive the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Blue Ribbon Award. Just Between Friends Franchise Systems Inc. also received a “Franchisee Satisfaction Award” and was named in the Top 50 franchises by “Franchise Business Review” for the past 6 years. JBF has been featured on numerous national television shows including The Today Show, CBS Early Show, ABC News, Good Morning America, CNN, Headline News, Fox News, Inside Edition and CNBC’s The Big Idea. They have also been featured in many top markets including Seattle, Denver, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco and Philadelphia as well popular websites www.yahoo.com, www.sheknows.com and Disney website www.family.com.