1. Colon cleansing to lose weight. The internet loves to spread mis-information here. The colon is part of the gastrointestinal tract, which is really just a continuous tube that goes from your mouth to your anus. What you put in your mouth goes through this tube. What your body wants, it absorbs from this tube. What it does not want comes out the other end. So, unless you’re really really constipated, you will not lose weight other than water loss from potential dehydration.
2. Spicy foods help you burn off fat by boosting your metabolism?? I have no idea where this one started but it may have come out of a report about capsasin causing sweat glands to become stimulated. Clearly that one is true as those five alarm buffalo wings made me sweat the last time I had them… and it was great. I just didn’t lose any weight from it and neither will you.
3. One of my favorites is the Acai pill weight loss craze. No peer reviewed studies have ever proven Acai to do anything more than increase your anti-oxidant intake. So, in the end they can’t hurt you but they are not going to help you lose weight.
4. Along those lines would be the beta HCG diet. I can’t begin to tell you how bad this one is. First of all, it requires that you do a starvation diet of 500 calories per day. The beta HCG is being used as the result of a very bad study that came out years ago, by a questionable source at best, that beta HCG can preserve muscle mass in the face of starvation. Not quite so fast on that one. A 500 calorie a day diet is just plain dangerous and using anything to make it sound OK is equally as dangerous. Besides, before you decide to do this one, find out where they are really getting the bet HCG from. It will make your stomach turn!
5. Two more of my favorites are: Skipping breakfast and lunch and then just eating one big meal for dinner can help you lose weight. NOT. This one just forces your body into starvation mode, slows your metabolism down, then makes you feel sluggish and actually causes you to gain weight. The second is the six small meals per day. Once again, I don’t think so. This one also messes with your metabolism and will be certain to make sure that your body never gets a chance to burn off any fat.