With the 144th Kentucky Derby around the corner, the personal-finance website WalletHub released a report, one showcasing fun facts about the first leg of the Triple Crown.
Below are some highlights from each report.
2018 Kentucky Derby Facts & History:
- $209.2 Million – Total amount wagered on the 2017 Kentucky Derby.
- $500 to $1,000 – Price of a high-end Kentucky Derby hat (90% of female spectators wear hats).
- 120K – Number of Mint Juleps served over Kentucky Derby weekend, requiring 1K pounds of fresh mint and 60K pounds of ice.
- 522,000 – Number of cans of beer that will be consumed. 163,000 hot dogs will be eaten.
- $997.19 Million – Worldwide sales of thoroughbred horses in 2017.