Equip yourself with a set of household hand tools to tackle DIY projects the moment they pop up.
Here’s some tips on what to look for in a hand tool set:
- A good tool kit that can handle a wide range of jobs should include a claw hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, an adjustable wrench, a socket wrench, Allen wrenches, a tape measure, a level, and a utility knife.
- Look for a set with a portable container so you can keep your tools all in one place.
- You want the sturdiest tools you can afford. Like a classic one-pound hammer with a 16-inch synthetic handle.
- A tape measure that’s at least 16 feet long and 3/4-inch wide, so you can measure room-sized things.
- An adjustable wrench, because it’s like having 10 wrenches in one.
- Screwdrivers—both flathead and Phillips—in a couple of different sizes, and pliers of both the needle-nose and vise grip variety.
- We’d also recommend throwing in a roll of duct tape, a can of WD-40, and one of those little flashlights you wear around your forehead.