Many of the symptoms to be aware of are similar to cold-like conditions which people should be on the look out for and stay at home in case they are spreading the virus.
Health experts have identified 10 symptoms which mean people should stay at home for Christmas.
If they have any of these ailments, they should think about staying home during the festive period.
The symptoms to be aware of include:
1. A high temperature. This means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
2. A new, continuous cough. This means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
3. A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste. This means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal.
4. Night sweats when you sweat so much that your night clothes and bedding are soaking wet, even though where you are sleeping is cool.
5. A blocked or runny nose
6. A sore throat
8. Muscle aches
10. Pressure in your ears and face
The ten symptoms do not mean you have the virus and could simply be a cold.