No one wants to deal with having their vehicle or car parts stolen. Car thefts and catalytic converter thefts are rising. In 2022, USAA alone saw more than 10,000 catalytic converters stolen from our members’ vehicles.
We want to help you protect your vehicle. Here are some things you can do.
Protect your vehicle from theft:
- Never leave your vehicle running or unattended.
- Hide your valuables.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Remember that video cameras can be a deterrent.
- Lock your vehicle and take your keys.
Protect your catalytic converter from theft:
- Consider a catalytic converter shield.
- Purchase a catalytic converter shield and schedule the installation through RepairPal.
- Visit a trusted repair shop to etch your VIN onto the catalytic converter. While it may not keep it from being stolen, it may deter converter buyers. Plus, this will allow law enforcement to identify it and potentially apprehend the thief.
- Install a vehicle recovery system. Not only can this help keep thieves away, but you may also get a discount on your auto insurance.
- If you have an alarm, set its sensitivity to high, so it activates if your car gets tampered with.
We understand crime can’t always be prevented, but we want to help you do everything you can to protect your property.