In Yankee-land – no World Series means FAILURE. When you add in a 200MIL payroll and ownership with the last name Steinbrenner – it’s all about retooling for next season and making the best business decisions for the organization.
Derek Jeter’s 3,000th hit and Mariano Rivera’s 602nd save were historic achievements for the Yankees and Major League Baseball. Monument Park is ready and waiting to honor these future first-ballot Hall of Famer’s. The Yankees made the postseason for the sixteenth time in the last seventeen years. It’s only in Yankee-land that winning the AL Eastern division and 97 games, but failing to get out of the ALDS to end the season is a total disappointment.
Here are my TOP 5 (amateur – baseball executive) items I would focus on for 2012:
- Pitching – Pitching and Pitching – It’s a must to shore up your 3 -4 -5 starters. I would consider packaging Mark Teixeira for a front line starter and prospects? (IE: David Price/ Felix Hernandez)
- What if CC Sabathia and/or Rafael Soriano decide to opt out of their contracts? You have to re-sign these two aces to solidify the front end / back end of your rotation. CC Is worth the money, but I seriously question the years. Soriano – knowing Dave Robertson could handle heir apparent duties for Mariano Rivera.
- Would you attempt to sign another free-agent? Albert Pujols (1B or DH), Prince Fielder (1B or DH), Jose Reyes (SS)
- What happens with Jeter, Rivera, Posada and A-ROD? You’re on the hook for 6yrs/143MIL of A-ROD. (Fast-track to DH duties to preserve his bat) Jeter shifts to 3B and the Eduardo Nunez era begins at SS. Posada is offered a minor league coaching assignment. Rivera will be in the last year of his contract and will be honored during his 2012 FAREWELL tour.
- Would you offer a contract to Brian Cashman? Love or Hate his deals – he’s your architect. Without him – you limp to make the wild card. (IE: Signing / revitalizing Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia and Eric Chavez)
If you were a NY Yankees baseball executive and had five options – what would you do?